Gearbox Software is looking for a passionate level designer to join us in crafting upcoming first person shooters. This role involves working with the Lead Level Designer and Creative Director to pitch, build, polish, and ship levels using Unreal Engine 4. Level Designers are responsible for owning the vision of their levels, and working with a variety of other departments to see that vision come to fruition. It involves close collaborative work with artists, mission designers, writers, coders, and a variety of other disciplines to ensure the level ships on time at a high standard of quality, while also being fun and memorable to players.
- Develop single player and cooperative levels based on existing game design documents, direction from project leadership, and collaboration with peers. This involves taking a design all the way from a paper design to a shipping product, iterating over time based on feedback, creative goals, and project deadlines.
- Prototype, iterate, and polish moment-to-moment gameplay while working with narrative designers, enemy designers, artists, and other disciplines to ensure quality combats and mission experiences for the final customers
- Mentorship and sharing of expertise with junior level designers and other design staff. Ability to model a positive tone and work ethic to junior members of the team. Ability to provide and receive good feedback when iterating levels.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in Interactive Entertainment or Animation and up to two years of experience in Design (Narrative, Cinematics, Level or Combat Design) and demonstrated ability in the following areas:
- Proven track record of building and shipping large level environments. Should include videos or screenshots of shipped levels, and any additional documentation showing design and iteration process.
- Understanding of modern level design practices, including layout, pacing, technical implementation, and above all else creating fun experiences for players.
- Strong eye towards aesthetics, with an ability to work hand-in-hand with art teams. Previous experience in a art role is a plus.
- Excellent documentation, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills. Ability to maintain focus and self-motivation towards the current project goals.
- Live near or be able to relocate to Frisco, Texas
- Have shipped a AAA title, with a preference towards Unreal technology and first person shooters.
Desired but not required:
- Shipped games using Unreal 4 technology
- Experience with the certification and shipping process on modern consoles
- Experience working with large inter-disciplinary teams
- Co-op and/or Online Multiplayer experience.
- Previous leadership experience