The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld. Gearbox's ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability. For more information, visit www.Gearbox.com.
Gearbox Software is looking for a full-time Mission Designer to join our development team. As a member of the design team, they will assist with a wide array of design tasks ranging from developing and iterating story missions with the narrative team, creating memorable side missions, and coordinating with various departments to implement missions into levels.
- Creative: designing new, exciting experiences for players within the constraints of the tools, tech, and game design
- A proficient scripter who understands the technical underpinnings and asset needs of missions, and can do the hands-on work to take a mission all the way through implementation from idea to shipping product
- Passionate about crafting varied, memorable, and entertaining experiences for our players
- A positive member of the team, eager to collaborate with others to create something great
- Pitching original ideas for missions in first person shooter games
- Writing design documents for approved mission ideas
- Acting upon design feedback from the Creative Director, Lead Mission Designer, and Lead Level Designer during every stage of the mission design process
- Collaborating with other departments to ensure the game has everything the mission needs, and vice versa
- Implementing the mission in script to a high professional standard while adhering to all technical and design requirements, while also observing established in-house style guides and best practices
- Iterating missions based on feedback, creative goals, and project deadlines
- Accounting for both single player and cooperative gameplay in missions
- A proven track record of design and implementation in video games, especially of missions or quests.
- An understanding of game design fundamentals, and what makes missions fun, exciting, memorable, and fair for players
- Excellent documentation, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills. Ability to maintain focus and self-motivation towards the current project goals.
- Have shipped a AAA title, using Unreal technology and first person shooters.
Desired but not required:
- Experience using Unreal 5
- Experience with the certification and shipping process on modern consoles
- Experience working with large inter-disciplinary teams
- Co-op and/or Online Multiplayer experience.
- Previous leadership experience
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.