Environment Concept Artist
Gearbox Software is currently looking for an environment-centric concept artist to create artwork for our upcoming projects! In the concept artist role you will define or work within a specific art style to create exciting environmental concepts.
The concept artist role requires a strong sense of creative & visual aesthetics and, most importantly, strong knowledge of industrial design and architecture.
With a clear illustrative style, you must demonstrate you can be forward thinking and turn an exciting gameplay experience into an awesome visual experience!
Required Skills and Experience:
- Work within or help establish different types of style, including styles set by other artists or art directors
- Have expertise in illustrating environmental pieces in different settings (Sci-fi, fantasy, modern, etc) and properly breaking these elements out in a straight forward production sense beyond inspirational illustrations
- Comfortable receiving or giving critiques
- Provide initial ideas rapidly with rough illustrations and thumbnails, quickly moving through the ideation process
- Strong grasp of color theory, line, light and shadow and how these influence mood and focal points
- Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills
- Ability to balance technical function, aesthetics, and creativity
- Ability to develop within game design constraints and turn those restraints into exciting visuals that improve the experience
- Strong understanding of content creation from start to finish. Creating concept images, spec sheets and call outs for content and level artists
- Be passionate about games and play them regularly, everyone at Gearbox is a game creator and you must play them to make them!