UI Technical Artist
The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld. Gearbox’s ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability. For more information, visit www.Gearbox.com.
Gearbox Software is seeking a skilled and motivated Technical Artist to assist the UI Art team with complex art systems, effects, and shaders used in bringing our projects’ presentations to life. This role will bridge the gap between art and tech by integrating art content while honoring the artistic vision and technical constraints.
- Work with UI and Tech Artists to ensure best practices and optimal workflows are being followed.
- Communicate and work closely with UI and Engine Programmers to develop new features needed in delivering highly polished, sophisticated presentations.
- Analyze and relay memory/performance concerns associated with UI throughout a project’s development.
- Work with supporting art teams (FX, Modelers, etc.) to integrate assets into the UI, from proxy to final asset implementation.
- Create efficient and user-friendly UI Master Materials and Material Functions based on the standards set by the Tech Art team.
- Author and maintain Scripts to be used by artists and designers in our UI/presentation tools.
- Explore and iterate on ways to bring our projects presentation goals to life.
- Comfortable working in a 3D modeling application and Photoshop.
- Able to collaborate and work well with teams from various disciplines.
- Take ownership of shippable quality content/systems that are memory efficient and performant.
- Problem-Solve and provide a clear solution to complicated issues.
- Ability to think out-of-the-box to overcome technical challenges.
- Ability to self-direct and be autonomous when it is required.
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following artistic disciplines: Environment/Level Art, Visual Effects, Surface Art, Lighting
Bonus Points For:
- 6+ Years of industry experience.
- Comfortable working in the Unreal Engine, including Blueprints and the Material Editor.
- Experience working with 3DS Max and Houdini, with an ability to create assets in both as needed.
- Working knowledge of Python and the ability to quickly learn similar scripting languages, if re-quired.
- Experience with current generation platforms (Xbox One, PlayStation 4).
- Experience with other popular or proprietary engines (Unity, etc).
- Strong balance of creative/visual aesthetics and technical skills.
- Experience with providing feedback and integrating content from outsourced talent.
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.