Visual Effects Artist
The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld. Gearbox’s ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability. For more information, visit www.Gearbox.com.
The Visual Effects Artist works on all of our titles and interacts directly with the Visual Effects Director, Art Directors, and Designers to create world class special effects that push technical boundaries and limitations of Unreal Engine 4, Xbox, and Playstation. This role is open to VFX artists of mid or senior level.
- Work with visual effects team to create impressive, real-time particle systems.
- Build elegant materials in Unreal Engine 4 for particle systems and world geometry.
- Create memory efficient texture assets using programs like Adobe Photoshop, Substance Designer, Houdini, or Embergen.
- Produce basic 3D models, UV mapping, and simple animations when necessary.
- Participate in meetings to discuss the implementation of visual effects for the purpose of messaging gameplay concepts and meeting our aesthetic goals.
- Proficiency in Unreal Engine 4
- Experience with 3DS Max (or Maya), Substance Designer, Houdini, and Photoshop.
- Able to engage in collaboration and critique with other developers.
- Constantly inquisitive, possess desire and means to improve our methods.
- Proven technical aptitude in common game tools.
- Strong interpersonal skills, you can listen as well as you can convey yourself.
- Demonstrable mastery of artistic concepts and common practices.
- Knowledge of limitations for console games with fixed technical specifications.
- Solid understanding of general art pipeline at a game studio.
- Understanding of individual impact on performance in relation to project frame rate goals.
Bonus Points For:
- Technical aptitude with the Unreal Engine. Specifically Unreal Cascade, Niagara, and the Material Editor.
- Previous experience as an effects artist either in real-time games or with pre-rendered cinematic content for TV, film, or games.
- Experience with Embergen, FluidNinja, or other simulation tools.
- Associate’s (two year) or higher Art related degree or evident strong art skills and background.
- Experience with 2D or 3D animation.
- Experience with Nvidia Apex, PhysX, FleX.
- Driven to explore new technology, process, techniques, and styles.
- Background in scripting or programming (any language)
- Strong ability to create shaders/materials
- Background in 3D modeling
- Experience with deferred renderers, simulations (Houdini, FumeFX, Embergen)
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.