Senior Systems Designer
A Senior Systems Designer at The Gearbox Entertainment Company is a development role with subject matter expertise and preferably some leadership expertise. A Senior Systems Designer is responsible for creating and maintaining core gameplay systems based on the direction of the Creative Director and Lead Systems Designer. In addition, this role involves working with and potentially mentoring a small team of other systems and content designers, making sure the team maintains quality, consistency, and cohesive vision across multiple game systems.
This role often works in collaboration with representatives of various other departments (code, art, animation, level design, etc) to ensure new systems are built well for other departments to use and implement and for players to experience with optimal performance. This role requires deep understanding of modern first-person shooters, RPG growth systems, text based scripting, and core gameplay tentpoles from various Gearbox games. Depending on the candidate this job role can grow into a leadership position over time.
- Design, build, and iterate core gameplay systems for a multi-platform AAA FPS
- Coordinate with the Lead Systems Designer and Creative Director to make sure core gameplay systems are meeting their goals and delivered to players in a complete, polished, and fun state
- Work in multidisciplinary teams with coders, artists, and other designers to coordinate development complex systems and solve problems
- Develop interactive objects that are responsive and provide players with excellent feedback promoting ease of use
- Guide the development of internal tools and processes to ensure rapid content creation and less bugs
- Coordinate systems testing with QA and automated tools to ensure consistent quality of the product
- Take a keen interest in team morale, the growth of team members’ craft and their career goals. Over time, potentially grow this into full time leadership.
- Possess the ability to speak confidently about core systems to other internal Gearbox developers, external partners, private conferences such as GDC, and potentially media or press outlets in promotion of the game.
- 3+ AAA Projects shipped to completion in a design role, leadership roles are a plus
- Love of the Borderlands franchise
- Shipped Unreal Engine 4 experience is preferred
- Must possess proficiency in mathematics including vector math, ability to develop XP curves, diminishing return systems, and possessing the ability to understand how to best utilize math so players don’t have to.
- While previous software engineering is not a must, previous work or examples of coding is a huge plus for the position.