Technical Art Director
The Technical Art Director’s primary responsibility is for research, technical aesthetic fidelity, innovation, and provide coordination and leadership with our technical artists, FX artists, Engineers, and Data Analysts.
In addition to defining best practices and competitive awareness, the Technical Art Director is expected to understand emerging trends and technologies in video game content and make strategic recommendations as to how they may benefit and/or impact the studio or project; establishing and maintaining the functional vision.
Areas the Technical Art Director is responsible for include visual R&D, performance monitoring, standard setting, as well as process, pipeline issues, and definition.
- Ensure that the art direction of the project is technically carried out and establish an efficient production plan for execution
- Drive & pioneer state of the art visuals and procedural systems that complement the game design
- Ensure visual quality throughout the game
- Collaborate with senior leadership to ensure alignment of tech art plans and project design requirements
- Contribute to long-term vision for technical art and graphics at the studio
- Work closely with the Programming, Technical Art, FX, Art Optimization and Art teams
- Cooperate with programmers to improve the graphics engine
- Act as a bridge between the art and programming teams
- Define, review, test and integrate new tools to enable the art dept. to create stunning art
- Develop, regularly communicate, and document technical art standards, technical constraints, best practices, and techniques
- Stay current with trends in computer graphics (e.g. SIGGRAPH)
- Mentor, guide, and lead tech & FX artists, providing examples and arranging training as necessary
- Actively partner with studio leadership in recruiting and career development efforts
- 5+ Years of industry experience
- Experience in leading teams of artists
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following artistic disciplines: Environment Art, Visual Effects, Surface Art
- Knowledge of both industry relevant 2D and 3D art software
- Experience in programming and / or relevant scripting
- Understanding of cutting-edge process, tools, and industry techniques
- Experience in the technical and behind the scene operation in 3D graphics engines and their process