Gearbox Software is seeking new talent to join our growing Communications Department. Gearbox Software is a Texas-based independent creator of award-winning video games. Founded in 1999 by video game industry veterans, we have broken numerous records by creating and releasing innovative games like Half-Life: Opposing Force, Brothers in Arms, Battleborn, and the Borderlands series.
We have an opening for a Public Relations Director for a savvy and skilled storyteller. This is a key role in our Communications Department that will report directly to the Chief Communications Officer. The successful candidate will work with Gearbox departments, and Gearbox’s Public Relations Manager, to develop new public relations strategies and tactics to manage Gearbox’s brand and assist with executive visibility and corporate reputation.
Essential Job Functions
- Promote Gearbox and its leadership team by working with internal, cross-functional, and agency partners to develop integrated communications plans
- Protect Gearbox’s reputation by monitoring news cycles and media inquiries to identify and mitigate brand threats
- Lead cross-functional and agency partners in planning and executing media strategies
- Draft/review interview messaging, talking points, scripts and press materials including statements, fact sheets, and press releases
- Brief executives for interview opportunities
- Develop and maintain relationships with media across mainstream consumer and video game news outlets
- Collaborate with our PR agency on proactive media outreach
- Identify new and unique opportunities to promote brand engagement and content development for our biggest fans
- Assist with budgeting and reporting.
Other Important Duties:
- Travels to attend tradeshows, meetings, and conferences
- Participates in industry association and activities to maintain positive relationships and awareness of industry issues
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To apply, you should have:
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years of communications work in both digital and traditional environments;
- Project management experience working with complex and multi-disciplinary initiatives and experience managing multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience at conceiving and deploying proactive strategic programs;
- Experience with executing social media campaigns, including paid campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, and elsewhere
- A healthy appetite for news and information, especially related to video game industry trends
- The desire to work with a cross-functional, integrated team to deliver award-winning work
- A commitment to uphold and defend the highest levels of ethical conduct
- A desire to work in a fun, fluid and fast-paced environment
- Respect for a culturally-diverse team
- A strong ability to assist and guide team members
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Able to communicate effectively and translate complex ideas
- Ability to initiate and follow through on projects, prioritize tasks, and work independently
- Solid proficiency in Microsoft office suite