Gearbox Software is seeking a game designer to join us in developing first person shooters in Unreal Engine 4. This role involves working in a small team environment with the Creative Director, Senior Designers, and Gameplay Coders to design, implement systems and systemic content into games the expansions. This role will work closely with all departments involved on the project to iterate and improve the game experience for players. Additional responsibilities may include additional helping other departments with design direction, identifying areas for existing games to be improved through patching or expansion content, and providing feedback for other designers. This role will require constant collaboration and working with all facets of game development.
- Pitching, prototyping, and building design systems for AAA first person shooters.
- Iterate existing game systems and creating new content on project direction and feedback. This involves working closely with coders, artists, and other designers to make sure features meet goals and ship on time.
- Work closely with internal focus testing, community management, and other sources of player feedback to maintain and expand the online community surrounding the game through DLC development
Required Skills and Experience:
- Heavy investment in first person shooters, both as a player and developer and a deep understanding of industry best practices for FPS game design.
- Proven track record of modern systems design and/or scripting experience in a AAA product. Should include videos, screenshots, or documentation of systems or scripting.
- Have shipped 1 or more AAA action titles in a game design role, with a preference towards Unreal Engine 4 technology, first person shooters, and action games.
- Excellent documentation, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills. Ability to maintain focus and self-motivation towards the current project goals.
Desired But Not Required:
- 3 or more years of game design experience
- Shipped AAA games using Unreal 4 technology
- Object oriented coding experience or classwork
- Experience with expanding games through DLC or games-as-a-service business models
- Prior leadership experience